This course facilitates students to master the knowledge base of social work and incorporate relevant social science knowledge for developing a critical understanding of social phenomena and social work intervention; equip students with the ability to analyze and practice social work, apply social development concepts and have a good judgment when serving in different organizational and service contexts. The course gives special emphasis on enhancing the personal and professional growth of students in becoming a competent and reflective professional social worker and in possessing the professional values and qualities that a social worker should have.
Please click here for Featured Subjects.
Senior teaching team and rich social worker training experience
- The programme is designed and taught by a number of senior professors in the social sciences and service fields, including Honorary Professor Chan Wing Tai, JP, the Dean of Faculty of Social Sciences Professor Chan Yuk Chung, and the Head of the Department of Applied Social Sciences Professor Chui Yat Hung. With the rich experience in training up thousands of social workers for over 18 years, the teaching, learning and quality of the programme are guaranteed.
A better articulation social work programme
- The current design of the articulation programme does not require the students to repeat the generic practice knowledge learnt in their sub-degree programme. New input of more advanced generic practice theories and models is in place.
Courses and graduates with professional recognition
- The course has been approved by the Social Workers Registration Board and graduates can apply to become registered social workers.
Employment advantages and decent income
- Graduates can serve as Assistant Social Work Officer (ASWO) or equivalent. The starting salary for the government is at point 16 on the MPS (the starting salary is $33,350 and effective in April 2021).
Bilingual teaching is conducive to learning
- Chinese and English teaching is conducive to learning Each specific module will be taught in the designated language (Chinese or English) to meet the needs of study and industry while giving chances to further develop students’ competence in both languages.
Generalist social work training that values down-to-earth practice and values
- The course aims to train students to become a practical and down-to-earth generalist social worker, who can continue to grow at the individual and professional level, while embracing the ideal of social work, affirming the value of people, tolerating differences, and exercising independent judgment with self-reflection ability and sense of responsibility when providing services for people with different needs and promoting social development.
Fieldwork placement opportunities to enhance theoretical and practical integration
- The 900-hour internship (including 100 hours of preparatory workshops for fieldwork + 800 hours of fieldwork experience) allows each student to experience the integration of theory and practice in different fields such as services for young people, people with disabilities, the elderly and families. This will help students to gain experience and deepen their learning experience.
2+2 Articulation Scheme
- Students who have completed the 2-year HKCT Higher Diploma in Social Work and fulfilled designated requirements will be eligible to receive admission offer of this 2-year bachelor programme of senior-year entry (i.e. direct entry to the third year of this Programme).
Key Training Features
It aims to cultivate students holistically with the following emphases:
Personal and professional growth
- Personal and professional growth are our pivotal concerns. To enhance students’ personal and professional growth, four subjects with a total of 8 credits are devoted. Students will also strengthen their personal growth during co-curricular activities, such as reading the book, Choosing Civility: The Twenty Rules of Considerate Conduct by P.M. Forni, and watching the movie, Scant of Women.
Passion and compassion
- Passion is the basic condition for achieving success but social workers need to have compassion at the same time, coupled with compassionate actions which help reduce or eliminate the suffering of the client, and prevent professional workers from the pitfalls of becoming aloft and arrogant. The programme will provide chances for students to encounter and communicate with the vulnerable groups in society like the low-income family, dwellers of partitioned flats, blinded persons, rehabilitated mental health patients, marginal youth, so that students can understand and empathize with their situation, and be compassionate when walking with them.
Innovation and creativity
- Social workers must also think outside the box and practice their profession creatively. With the strength of the college in social innovation education, this course also trains students to be down-to-earth and accept changes so that they can solve social problems with innovative ideas. An assignment of the subject on personal growth is designed for students to move out of their comfort zone. Subjects like approaches in Globalisation and Social Development, Social Innovation and Environmental Design, Science, Technology and Society will open up students to examples of innovative solutions against the problems in the world and the state of art under the development of sciences and technology. These help students develop the innovative ideas and creativity.
Social development perspective
- The focus of social development is to accumulate social capital on social networks and relationships through the collaboration of different stakeholders, and to respond more effectively to social needs and complex social issues. Through multi-party cooperation, sustainable social development can be achieved. Two elective subjects of the programme are under social development perspectives. To promote social justice, social development is an additional option besides social action.